Family Collage 2015

Family Collage 2015

Tuesday, December 31, 2013

Days #351-364

What would be the end of the year, without getting super behind on the blog. The majority of you who follow this blog know why we got so behind (hint hint, brain surgery) but if I have any secret followers out there, this photo montage should help you get caught up with our past two weeks and give you all the insight into the craziness that ensued on/around/near Christmas.

Day #351
 Nothing crazy has happened yet, so we have plenty of time for snuggles on the couch in our sleeping bag :)

Day #352
 SNOW DAY! We woke up to an inch or so of snow. I stayed home so Maddy stayed home for a little while with me until the roads were more clear. We played in the snow and even ate a little!

Day #353
 We woke up in the middle of the night on December 20 to find out that Grammie Merlene's recent headaches had been identified to be a brain tumor. She was being taken to the neurological ICU at a hospital in Seattle and would need surgery soon to remove the mass. We all spent a few days at the hospital (even Maddy!) and visited with her while they developed a plan to remove the tumor and deal with any possible ailments once it came out. The family was extremely upset/stressed/etc. and couldn't believe that someone with such impeccable health would be facing such a terrible prognosis. We cried, we prayed, and we hugged. 

Day #354
 Grammie Merlene had brain surgery on December 23 and much to our surprise (and her doctor's), when they got into her brain, they did not find a tumor, they found an abscess. She had an infection! She didn't have cancer, she doesn't need chemo, they didn't have to shave her head or put a fist size hole in her skull. She's on really heavy antibiotics for 6-8 weeks but is going to be alright! Yay, what a huge relief. We were all ecstatic and extremely grateful. 

Day #355
After a miracle in the hospital, Grammie Merlene insisted that Ted, Maddy and I get in the car and get to Oregon to celebrate Christmas. We were a little hesitant to leave her, but she was pretty persuasive. We packed all of our stuff in about an hour and jumped in the car on Christmas Eve. It was a speedy trip and we got to Grammie Kim and Bumpa Larry's about 10pm. 

Day #356
 Merry Christmas!

Day #357
 Playing on the 4-wheeler at Uncle Dan's house! Bailey had fun too!

Day #358
 So many stickers on Grammie Kim.

Day #359
We went to visit Bumpa Larry's work and got to see crab, sea creatures and even the skeleton of a whale. Maddy had so much fun climbing around.

 Day #360
Bumpa Larry and Grammie Kim are building a new house. We went to check it out with Hayden and Paisley. The two older kids had a blast running around and getting super muddy. The house is coming along and should be done in about a year. Yay, can't wait!

Day #361 
We went to Shore Acres to check-out the Christmas lights with all the Drapers and Great Grammie. We had fun and Great Grammie did great with all of the walking. So proud of her!

 Day #362
One of the reasons that I really wanted to make it to Oregon for Christmas was because Great Grammie was going to be there. She had spent about a month in a rehab facility getting her strength up after being sick and was doing so much better. We were so glad to get to spend a few days with her. Maddy and Great Grammie snuggles before we left!

 Day #363
We got back to Tacoma just in time to celebrate a belated Christmas with Grammie Merlene (who got out of the hospital after a week) and Papa Rick. We opened presents, visited, and had a nice dinner. It was so nice to see them and just be together at home. Also, it's so great to see Grammie Merlene doing so well and feeling so much better. What a blessing!

Day #364
Mmmmm bagels and cream cheese!

No comments:

Post a Comment