Family Collage 2015

Family Collage 2015

Friday, July 25, 2014

Virtual 5K

A few months ago Ted and I made an effort to start going to the gym more and eat a little more healthy. We stuck to it for about 10 weeks, both losing between 10-15 pounds and feeling a lot better.

At the beginning of that endeavor I started running again which I hadn't really done since back in grad school when I had time to go to the gym everyday (oh how I miss those days). I began a couch to 5k program which helps you start running by using intervals of running and walking for about 30 minutes at a time. I got pretty into it and had even reached a point where I could run 20 minutes straight. Unfortunately life majorly got in the way with continuing going to the gym (thanks for nothing strep throat, vacations, stomach bugs, family death, etc.)

I would really like to get back on track because while I haven't really gained the weight back (thank goodness), I don't feel as fit as I did when I was running 2-3 times a week. 

So lucky for me my new blogging community is hosting a virtual 5k in September (thanks Jenny!). The premise is you sign up with other bloggers and we all commit to running a 5k on September 13th. We all do it on our own however best works for us. So for me, that will be on the treadmill at the gym because that is definitely where I do my best running, mostly because the treadmill controls my pace and keeps it reasonable allowing me to run longer (that can't be a surprise to any of you who know I don't take my time at much of anything).

So my goals for the next 7 weeks to prepare for this are:

1. Run on the treadmill at the gym 2-3 times each week.

2. Lift weights at the gym 1-2 times each week.

3. Use my couch to 5k app to continue increasing my running. Start on week 4 and go through week 8 to be able to run a 5k in one session.

4. Lose another 5 pounds between now and September 13 to make running a little easier.

I found some awesome running quotes to help motivate me!




2 comments:

  1. I love those running quotes! I think you've got a great training plan - so excited you're joining us for the 5K!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fantastic training plan -- best wishes, you will do great!

    ReplyDelete